Chef to School Program
In the Chef to School Program, Green Our Planet connects local professional chefs, certified health and nutrition professionals and culinary students with schools. The chefs donate their time and talents by giving cooking demonstrations at schools using the school garden’s produce.
During a typical chef demo, a chef gives two demonstrations on the school’s campus. Each session is 45 minutes long and can accommodate 50-70 students. During each demo, the chef takes produce from the school garden and makes a healthy recipe for the students to try. These demonstrations show students how to cook nutritious meals using produce grown in a school garden or hydroponic system and educates students on the health benefits of eating fruits and vegetables as part of a well-balanced diet. It also inspires students to consider career paths in the nutrition and culinary fields.
Green Our Planet's Chef to School Program:
- Shows students the complete process of growing produce from seed to table
- Teaches students simple and healthy recipes they can make using produce they know how to grow
- Introduces students to career and vocational pathways in the field of culinary arts
- Increases the students' consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Teaches students about nutrition and healthy eating habits