Green Our Planet’s Farmpreneur Program
In Green Our Planet’s Farmpreneur Program, fifth-grade students use our STEAM curriculum and learn to create a garden-based business, analyze profits and losses, advertise and understand their business’s market. Green Our Planet’s Farmpreneur Program engages students in entrepreneurship and fine tunes their leadership, financial literacy, and business skills by putting them in charge of their very own business.
After learning about business strategy, farmpreneurs put their skills to the test by organizing and participating in student farmers markets. Since 2013, when Green Our Planet spearheaded the first student farmers market in Nevada, we’ve helped student farmpreneurs organize hundreds of farmers markets. In 2017, more than 160 student farmers markets were held at Green Our Planet schools throughout the Las Vegas Valley. The markets are often set up near school parking lots during pick-up or drop-off times. Schools also hold the markets at school events such as health fairs, festivals, back-to-school nights or whenever produce is ready to be harvested and sold.
Schools have the opportunity to send students to Green Our Planet’s Giant Student Farmers Market. Twice a year, more than 400 students students from over 40 Las Vegas schools participate in the Giant Student Farmers Market. Green Our Planet also works with local banks to bring together bankers from across the city who teach students financial literacy leading up to the Giant Student Farmers Markets.
Goals of Green Our Planet’s Farmpreneur Program
- Teach students how to create and run a business based on their school garden
- Engage the local community in the school garden program
- Provide fresh, school garden-grown produce in food deserts
- Help schools raise funds (through sales) for their school garden programs
- Teach financial literacy lessons to select schools participating in the biannual Giant Student-Run Farmers Market with the help of local volunteer bankers