Remote Learning with Green Our Planet During COVID-19
We have exciting new programs and resources that will better help deliver programming during COVID-19. Our role is to help make your job of teaching STEM, nutrition and conservation as effortless, efficient and impactful as possible!
We have continued to create high-quality video lessons by our farmers, chefs, hydroponics experts and teachers, which are now located in our Virtual Academy. The lessons, which range from PK to Grade 5, are all aligned to national and state standards and mirror the lessons from our STEMworks-accredited outdoor garden and hydroponics STEM curricula. Teaching STEM has never been so easy! New lessons are added to the Virtual Academy each week, so there's always something new to learn.
Although students aren't able to attend school in-person, Green Our Planet's Farmers are hard at work teaching students online and making sure the gardens will be ready for the students' return.
- Weekly Garden Visits: Farmers will continue visiting school gardens once a week in order to maintain the gardens. If a school has opted to donate their produce to Delivering with Dignity (which helps distribute food to local families in need), the farmers will harvest and ensure the produce is donated.
- Garden Tour Videos—NEW! In order to keep students connected to their school gardens, farmers will regularly create short garden tour videos.
- LIVE Q&A “Ask Your Farmer” Online Sessions—NEW! Farmers will offer 15-30 minute live Q&A sessions for schools in our program. Both students and teachers can use the sessions to stay connected with their school gardens and also to get their horticulture questions answered. Contact your coordinator or farmer for information on how to sign up!
Online Teacher Training—NEW!
For the first time, Green Our Planet's popular PDE STEM Teacher Trainings are online! Our talented team of teachers, horticulturalists and hydroponics experts offer a full slate of teacher trainings throughout the 2020-21 school year. Our fall semester trainings include the following. Click on a link below to sign up!
- STEM 101 (Oct 12, 19, 26, 4pm-6:30pm)
- STEM 102 (Nov 10, 12, 17, 4pm-6:30pm)
- Hydroponics 101 (Nov 20, 30, Dec 4, 4pm-6:30pm)
Teachers can earn up to 1 PDE/5 CU credits for each training.
Online Chef Nutrition Program—NEW!
Although our chef-nutrition team cannot visit schools for in-person chef demonstrations, we will contribute to students’ nutrition education by offering the following chef demonstrations:
On-Demand Chef Demonstrations: Our chefs have been busy filming themselves preparing tasty, nutritious recipes (with ingredients from your garden) and teaching nutrition through video lessons on the Virtual Academy. These are currently available 24/7 on our Virtual Academy with new ones delivered regularly via our weekly Virtual Academy Newsletter.
NEW! LIVE Chef Demonstrations: Our nutrition-chef teams are available to perform live chef demonstrations for schools, which will allow individual classrooms to interact directly with our nutrition-chefs. For more information, contact your coordinator.
School Garden Coordinator Program
To support schools as they continue distance learning, Green Our Planet's coordinators will continue to meet with school garden teams online on a monthly basis. The coordinators will assist schools with the various opportunities that Green Our Planet offers and can customize our programming to suit the specific needs of your school.
Hydroponics STEM Program
Our rapidly-expanding K-5 STEM Hydroponics Program is now operating in seven states, from Alaska to Florida. Schools in the program continue to learn STEM and more with hands-on hydroponics activities, Virtual Academy video lessons, our K-5 STEM hydroponics curriculum and online hydroponics workshops and teacher trainings. With support, training and lessons from Green Our Planet, teachers and students will learn how to grow food hydroponically with six different kinds of hydroponic systems, taking them on a journey from seed to harvest using progressively more complex growing systems. To learn more, click here.